How rare is red hair and blue eyes? The Myths Debunked
When it comes to hair colours, there is something about red hair that so many people love. No only is it unique, it’s also stunning and makes anyone look instantly beautiful. If you love redheads, you probably want to know more about them. In this blog post, we’ll be answering the question of how rare is red hair and blue eyes? Alongside that, we’ll also look at some other facts and myths when it comes to redheads, as well as some famous people who are blessed with the beautiful combination of red hair and blue eyes! Before we begin, what do you think? Do you think it’s a rare combination, or have you met plenty of people with ginger tresses and blue eyes? And, what other myths have you heard about ginger people that you’re not sure are true? We’ll hopefully cover them today!
So, how rare is red hair and blue eyes?
You might have heard that red hair and blue eyes is the rarest hair and eye colour combination on earth. Well, if you’ve heard that fact then you’re right! This is no myth. It truly is the most unique combination a person can have. Only around 2% of the global population is blessed with red hair. And, around 17% of us have blue eyes. So, we’re already working with small numbers. If you put the two together, it’s got to be even rarer! So, if you’re blessed with this unique colour combination, count yourself lucky! Scientists are not sure exactly what percentage of the world’s population has blue eyes and red hair, but it’s well known that most redheads tend to have brown or green eyes as a more common trait.
Why is it so rare?
Now we’ve learnt about how rare is red hair and blue eyes, let’s look at exactly why that is! Firstly, red hair is a recessive gene. This means that both parents must carry the gene (though they don’t both have to be redheads themselves) in order for their child to be a redhead. This means that there’s only around a 25% chance that a redheaded child will be born to parents that both carry the gene but don’t have red hair themselves. If one parent has red hair, and the other just carries the gene, this rises to around a 50% chance. And with two redheaded parents, it’s almost 100%- though with so few natural redheads, the chances of this happening are fairly rare. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s the reason why red hair is rare in itself!
But what about red hair and blue eyes? What has to happen for someone to have this combination, and why exactly is it this combination, in particular, that’s so rare? Well, blue eyes is also a recessive gene, it’s just a bit more common than red hair. It works in a similar way, where both parents have to carry the gene to have any chance of passing it on to their children. So, the chances of having both of these recessive traits is rare, especially because the combination is so rare to start with. Redheads are more likely to have brown eyes because this is a dominant trait and a lot more common around the world too.
Other redhead myths and facts
So now we’ve learned about how rare is red hair and blue eyes, along with exactly why this is the case, we’ll be taking a look at some other redhead myths and whether they are fact or fiction!
- Redheads need more anaesthetic. This fact is actually true! In studies, people with natural red hair have been known to need up to 30% more anaesthetic to reach the same level of sedation as people with other hair colours!
- Redheads are more likely to be left-handed. While there hasn’t been much trustworthy work done on this subject, it is widely thought to be true that redheads are more likely to be left-handed than the general population. This is thought to be because recessive traits, like red hair and left-handedness, are more likely to come in pairs.
- All gingers are white people. This is false! Red hair can be found in all ethnicities, it’s not just European, white people. This means that stunning redheads can be found all over the globe, and makes for some truly unique looking people! Although the concentration of redheads is far higher in some European countries. For example, in Scotland, the percentage of the population with red hair is around 13%!
- Red-haired people are going extinct. This one is technically a myth. While it’s thought that the number of natural redheads is on the decline, it’s unlikely to leave the gene pool entirely. This is because people can still carry the gene even if they don’t have red hair themselves, so there’s still a chance that they can pass red hair, or the red hair-carrying gene, on to their children.
- Redheads feel more pain. Similarly to the fact about needing more anaesthetic, this fact is thought to be true as well, based on a few research studies!
- People with red hair bruise more easily. This is a myth! Scientists have found no evidence that this is truly the case for redheads on the whole. It’s thought that perhaps their usually pale skin shows bruises up more vibrantly than other skin tones.
Famous redheads with blue eyes
We’ve discovered that the answer to the question of how rare is red hair and blue eyes is, actually, very rare! But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of stunning redheads with blue eyes around. In fact, some of the most gorgeous redheaded celebrities are also blessed with piercing blue eyes! Let’s take a look at some of our favourites below:
- Nicole Kidman can probably be considered one of the most famous redheads with blue eyes! She is not just a talented actress! She is also world-renowned for her beautiful ginger tresses and equally stunning blue eyes. Her ocean-blue eyes add an extra bit of uniqueness to her look both on and off-screen. What’s not to love about this beauty?
- Jessica Chastain has become famous for her amazing acting skills, starring in a huge variety of productions that often have feminist themes. But did you know that this beauty’s stunning red hair is totally natural? Her hair goes so well with her blue eyes and definitely make her one of the most stunning celebrity redheads out there.
- Lindsay Lohan may have had somewhat of a troubled past, but there’s no denying she’s a natural redheaded beauty! Her stunning red hair has been her signature look ever since she starred in The Parent Trap as a child, and it is complemented well with her pretty blue eyes, too!
- Benedict Cumberbatch has gained a devoted and loyal following due to his role on the BBC series Sherlock. On the show, he has definitely got brown hair, so it may be hard to believe that his natural hair is actually an auburn hue. He also has unusual eyes that shift between blue and green, thanks to a harmless condition called sectoral heterochromia!
Want to meet and date redheads?
Would you like to meet your very own redheaded partner? Whether you’re a fan of the rare combination of red hair and blue eyes, or love gingers with all eye colours, we wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to start dating gingers! If you haven’t dated a redhead before, you’re really missing out, as their beautiful looks and amazing personalities make for a winning combination every time. Here at Redhead Dates, we’re truly passionate about matching up redheads and redhead lovers for happy relationships. if you’re interested in meeting gorgeous redheads, we’re the site for you! Here are just some of the reasons why we think you should join:
- Looking for a ginger flame that’s close to home? We have so many people on our site, there’s sure to be some near you! We pride ourselves on facilitating the perfect redhead match in your local area. So, get logging on and you never know who you might be able to meet on our dedicated site!
- Start meeting people straight away! Our signup process is so quick and easy. And, once you’re on the site, you can start browsing our range of profiles and get chatting to people as soon as possible. We have no unnecessary steps. We want to make it easy for you! So, what are you waiting for?
- All of the profiles on our site are from REAL redheads and redhead lovers! They’re not fake profiles and we monitor for spam to make sure that your experience with us is as authentic as possible! There really is nothing to lose by signing up- we have real men and women waiting for you to meet them!
- Are you looking to broaden your horizons a bit? While we do have plenty of local people available, we also have profiles from all over the world! So, if you want to travel in search of love, or are looking for people a bit different to your usual locals, we can cater for that as well. Go on, what are you waiting for? With so many profiles from all over the country, it’s likely that your perfect match is right here…
- It’s FREE to join! Redhead Dates is a free site, so if you want to sign up and start meeting your dream redheads without spending a single thing, this is the site for you! And, it’s simple, quick, and easy- so there really is no reason not to sign up if you love redheads!
- 100% safe and secure. Finally, with our site, you don’t have to worry about your information! You can meet and date redheads with absolutely no risk to your information’s safety. What more reason to sign up and start your redhead dating journey today?
Did you enjoy this post about how rare is red hair and blue eyes? Want to join us today and start dating your own redheaded beauties? Just click here to go to our homepage and sign up!